BMW i8 will be first production vehicle which will feature laser light technology for its headlamps.
Benefits of laser light:
– higher beam range (up to 600 metres);
– more efficient (30% in comparison with LED light);
– lighter light;
– no heating up the surrounding area;
– laser diodes are 10 times smaller than conventional light diodes;
– With laser you get bright white light that is ten times more intensive than conventional light sources;
– better looking;
Better visibility and enhanced safety when driving at night.
With the sum of its properties, BMW Laser Light is the ideal light source for the main beam of a vehicle. It combines unparalleled performance and safety with a high level of efficiency and exceptional compactness. Its outstanding range facilitates improved illumination and even better visibility when driving in the dark. As a result, it ensures a more relaxed and comfortable driving experience and enhanced road safety.
The BMW i8 is the world’s first production vehicle to feature this innovative light technology. During the years ahead, further BMW models will be equipped with this future-oriented laser light system.
Source: bmw press group